Sunday, March 31, 2013

Local Lovelies: Once I went to Boxcar

A long time ago I started a series of posts about my favorite local sights and indulgences.  When we moved to Syracuse two and a half years ago, I tried my best to cultivate that same weekend lifestyle of hunting down special spots in the area and things that make the city (or town) unique that made our life in the Hudson Valley so idyllic.  I've covered the Creekwalk in Syracuse, but my demanding schedule and finances sometimes get in the way of digging in to the Syracuse culture.  STILL, I've been plenty of places - big an small, expensive and free, outdoors and in, simple and complex - they're just waiting to be shared.  Here's one from over two years ago, our first winter back in Syracuse.  


I didn't take too many photos, but one Saturday afternoon I went to check out the Boxcar Press open house.  Boxcar is a letterpress business in the city that had just renovated their studio on the near west side in late 2010.


At the open house, I saw live printing on their beautiful presses, got to try my hand at printmaking, and shopped some of their holiday products, including cards, notepads and coasters.  I also received a free t-shirt and a few sample coasters to take home.

Boxcar was one of my very first experiences with some of the innovative art and local-focused movements that are happening in Syracuse.  Though I haven't been back to their space since December 2010, I always enjoy seeing their work at local art fairs, and checking out their blog from time to time, for tips on printing, and to see what they're up to.




0 comments: