Sunday, January 8, 2012

Winter in the Kitchen: Sunday baking


Weekends without a strict agenda are like a breath of fresh air.  I've become so used to plowing through tasks and projects, that the chance to sit back a bit this Saturday and Sunday, ignore a few work-like activities and indulge my creative and relaxing urges has been simple and lovely.  After a morning at the regional flea market, hot hazelnut coffees in hand, and our first trip to the local natural foods store, what better way to spend the rest of this Sunday afternoon than in comfy clothes, baking up a savory treat?  Today I chose Ina Garten's buttermilk cheddar biscuits, and the moment their aroma began to drift from the oven, I seriously wondered how I had not tried this recipe before.


They were relatively simple to make, didn't require many complex ingredients, as is Ina's specialty (the only thing I didn't already have on hand was the buttermilk), and the results are warm and filling.  I've been on an unintentional baking kick for the past few weeks, likely due to the holidays, but I've been enjoying having the energy to to work some new recipes into my repertoire.  AChef is already loving them, so I'm certain they'll become a regular in the rotation.  You can find the original Barefoot Contessa Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuit recipe here.  I made a few slight changes in mine, first because I mistakenly used baking soda instead of baking powder, and then intentionally made the biscuits a different size because I wanted to use my biscuit cutters, both of which are probably responsible for my third change: baking time.  The recipe suggests 20-25 minutes in the oven, but I actually took mine out after 13 minutes because they were golden brown on top, and baked all the way through already.  Still, they came out tender, flavorful and just as I had hoped.



0 comments: